Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Little Warmth for Our Colorado Cold Snap

Today seems a particularly fitting day for a "Wednesday Warmth." Thanks to everyone who is braving the elements to be sure our folks are well cared for and tucked-in during this cold weather snap. 

I am coming up on my 10-year anniversary in CO, and weather like this still takes my breath away. This edition of "Wednesday Warmth" includes an excerpt from a visit note received from our lovely volunteer, Jan. I believe this would have been a touching moment for most of us, but particularly for Jan. She has always been so generous in sharing that one of the primary reasons she volunteers in hospice is because she cared for her beloved husband Fred prior to his passing from early on-set Alzheimer's. Fred was a Cardiologist in Denver and Jan worked at the same hospital. That is where the love story began. Some, though not enough, years later, Fred was stricken with Alzheimer's at a young age. When Jan meets with our new volunteers, she is vulnerable enough to share this story and also remind everyone to never forget, "there is still someone in there." Read on for Jan's most recent experience.

"Sylvie (who has end stage Dementia) and I sat at the table together after her daughter left and talked for a bit. She wanted to go and wanted me to take her so I wheeled her over by the couch, where we sat and talked. Then she wanted to go again, so I wheeled her to where I could sit in a chair beside her. We were sitting there, I was holding her hand, and a song came on the radio that said “Hello is there anyone in there” and I repeated that to Sandee. She looked me right in the eyes (which she doesn’t usually do) and said “There sure is”! I said, "Yes there is, isn’t there?" and she shook her head yes. It was a very touching moment."

Thanks for such a poignant and beautiful reminder, Jan. And thanks to all of our wonderful volunteers who give of their spirits, time and energy each and every day...

Beth Kelley, Volunteer Services Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment